We may have different Religions , languages and colors of skins But we all belong to one human race.
After the end of the cold war a study was published and it advocated that people’s cultural and religious identities would be the cause of conflict in future. Therefore, they attributed the conflict as “Clash of Civilization”. In post 9/11 scenario, the world has seen such types of conflicts and clashes among the Radical Islam and the western civilization. The world has seen massive destructions and killings because of cultural intolerance and clash of civilization. It is a hard time to spread a message of Cultural Coexistence, because it would bring peace and Social harmony in the world.
Also read our articles on
- American Culture and Lifestyle; Custom, Traditions, Food, Politics and Gender Roles in American Society
- Indian Culture; Interesting Facts about Indian Customs and Traditions
- A Glimpse at Diverse Culture of Pakistan
- Facts about Ancient Chinese Culture; A Tale of Inventions
Everyone, being a part of the international community should learn certain rules to promote cultural coexistence and tolerance in the world. What are those rules? Here is a list.
- Respect the MINORITIES in society.
- Accept the REALITY that the world does not have a universal culture.
- Respect the DIFFERENCES among different culture.
- Avoid JUDGMENTAL remarks about other cultures and religions.
- EDUCATE your children about cultural tolerance and religious freedom.
- try to search COMMONALITIES among different cultures such as food, traditions and norms.
- Accept, the God has created everyone FREE and they are free to follow their religion and culture.
- Learn that NO culture or religion promotes terrorism.
- Try to get FIRST HAND knowledge about any culture or religion by studying the original and authentic sources and don’t study MANIPULATED script.
- Learn that all people are created DIFFERENT and cultural diversity is natural, therefore RESPECT differences.
- Create a COUNTER NARRATIVE against the extremist actors of society.
- RESPECT the traditions, norms, values, rituals and festivals of other cultures and religions.
- Learn that disagreement is a BEAUTY of discussion and it does not intend offense.
To make this planet a worth living place, everyone should learn and practice such rules. Cultural diversity is indeed the beauty of the world. Everyone is different and that’s the only commonality among them. The diversity of cultures in the world not only make the societies more robust and creative, but it also helps people to cope with the change. Cultural pluralism is there to promote peace and harmony among different cultures and not to create conflicts and wars. Therefore, the need of the hour is to encourage cultural coexistence and cultural tolerance to promote harmony in the society and the world.